IBDP Bio Excel StatBook
This Excel workbook is designed to help students choose and use appropriate graphical and statistical tools. You can manipulate the raw data in most pages to see how graphs and error bars take shape.
This workbook is designed as an ‘interactive text’ for my students. In the formative stages of the course, we use some of the pages to show the following:
- Different methods of data presentation and processing
- How to format tables and graphs
- How to enter formulas in order to carry out common statistical procedures
- What happens to processed and presented data as some values of the variables change
It is NOT intended to be copy-pasted into student IA work.
Updated 4 June 2013 for formatting and to emphasise clarity of titles in tables and graphs.
Important note: these documents are used in my own classes, though are not official IB products. They are shared in good faith, but treat them with caution and due diligence. Teachers must always refer to the most up-to-date advice from the subject guides, subject reports on the OCC and experts in the subject.
It so far contains:
- variability and error bars in Biology
- comparing means using the t-test (with Excel and using t-tables)
- ‘before and after’ experiments
- the classic ‘5×5′ experiments, with two types of graphs
- determining correlation
- Chi-squared tests for different types of crosses in genetics (monohybrid, dihybrid, polygenic crosses)
This document will be edited and replaced once in a while. The version linked on this page should supersede all Excel documents that I have produced that are scattered around.
It is produced in Excel 2011 for Mac, but saved as .xlsx and will work on PC.
Please do not contact me to ask for different versions.
The workbook accompanies this unit:
Excel Tutorial Videos