Animal Experimentation Policy
This page is for the IB Animal Experimentation Policy, which can be downloaded here (OCC, login needed). It is essential to take steps in all your labs to work ethically and with respect for living things and the environment. Before going any further with investigations using animals or human participants, read and understand the document carefully.
“This policy applies to all experimentation in IB World Schools, whether assessed or non- assessed, for extended essays or for the group 4 project, in classrooms or school laboratories, or in other locations where IB students may conduct experiments.”
Discussion of the Animal Experimentation Policy
- Applied Ethology: Ethical Treatment of Animals
- BioEthics Education Project (Animal Ethics)
- Animal testing regulations (Wikipedia)
Here is a human consent pro-forma we use in class, feel free to use and adapt as needed.
More about using humans in trials:
- What is a clinical study? from Clinical Trials.org
- How do medical and clinical trials work? from the UK NHS