2010 is the United Nations’ International Year of Biodiversity. With conservation targets failing to be met and the loss of species and biodiversity ever increasing, it is an opportune time to take action: on both small and large scales.
Here is the Secretary General, Ban Ki Moon, introducing the International Year of Biodiversity:
The action website Countdown2010.net list the objectives of the IYB as to:
- Raise awareness of the importance of conserving biodiversity for human well-being and promote understanding of the economic value of biodiversity
- Enhance public knowledge of the threats to biodiversity and means to conserve it
- Encourage organizations (and through them individuals) to take direct or indirect biodiversity conservation activities
- Celebrate the achievements of Countdown 2010 partners and other stakeholders
- Reporting on the possible failures for not achieving the Target
- Prepare the ground for communicating the post-2010 target(s)
To find out more about what is going on and what you can do, visit the main two websites:
How can this event tie in with the IB Biology course?
Could it be a focus for future Group4 or Extended Essay projects?