Lyrical Science: Good Riddance (to excess end products)
Here’s the first attempt of a sing-along Biology song, for end-product inhibition of metabolic pathways, based on Green Day’s “Good Riddance (Time Of Your Life)“. I cannot sing, so there are no vocals!
This is how it was made:
1. Find the lyrics and put them on an excel spreadsheet, line-by-line
2. Write out all the key terms and ideas for the topic for the song
3. Write the new version of the song (this is difficult). Try to keep as many rhymes or words from the original as possible, but don’t force the scientific language too much.
4. Use powerpoint to make a slideshow of the lyrics.
5. Add an mp3 of the backing track.
6. Rehearse the timings and keep and save them once it works. This needs a decent computer, or the lag between sound and slides changing will be too great.
7. Convert the pptx file to mp4 using the free powerpoint to youtube converter.
8. Check and upload!
Here are the slides only, via Slideshare: